Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Going cold turkey off medication of high dosage

serenity_17 - Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:41 am

I decided to do some research yesterday about the medications I am on: Effexor 300mg, Lamictal 300mg, Campral 333mg * 3 times a day, and Trazodone 150mg. I wanted to see how these medications would effect me if I were to get pregnant. I was in for a rude awakening as I read the many posts on this site. I'm actually scared to death due to the fact I already may be pregnant and the high dosage that I am on. I have only seen a handful of people on 300mg of effexor, not to mention the other medications I am on are extremely high as well (for ex. most people on trazodone take 25mg - I take 150mg WOW!). I am a 27 year old student, finishing a degree in Graphic Design/Advertising. I was diagnosed to be Bi-Polar when I entered a substance abuse treatment center in November of 2005. I have remained sober and clean, however now I'm learning that I am still on medications, obviously highly addictive, whether it is stated on the information packet or not! I decided to stop taking everything but the trazodone. I have already began to wean myself off of it. Yesterday I cut my doses in half then that evening decided to do it cold turkey, due to the fact I am trying to get pregnant or very well may be. Today I feel dizzy, and I'm getting shocks from my head into my arms, hands, and feet. Am I going about this the correct way?
 serenity_17 - Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:57 am

Day 5....

I suppose it's not that harmful to quit med's like this due to the number of replies I've received. I'm doing ok; quite uncomfortable, the shocks are non-stop now, I feel unbalanced, and a bit quizzy at times. The worst part by far are the shocks, they are manageable just very uncomfortable as I stated. I'm beginning to think that some individuals make getting off medications more dramatic than it should be described. I'm also losing the animosity I had towards the medical field, for the simple fact, it was foolish of me to have thought that a substance that I'm ingesting to change my brain chemistry, wouldn't have any side effects when I discontinued taking the medication.
 serenity_17 - Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:06 am

I was mistaken when I said 5 days.... today is the 3rd day that I have been completely free from everything but the Trazadone.
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:01 pm

User avatar Dear Serenity_17:

What you are doing is EXTREMELY dangerous. Do not take advice from anyone but a licensed physician about this issue. You are taking these medications for a very serious illness--Bipolar Disorder. One of your medications, lamotrigine (Lamictal) is an anticonvulsant. When you suddenly stop an anticonvulsant you take the risk of having a seizure.

IF YOU DO NOT ALREADY KNOW, SEIZURES CAN BE DEADLY, FOR YOU AND YOUR FETUS!!!!!!!!!

What you are doing is potentially more dangerous than staying on your medications.

There is a way to withdraw from your medications safely. You must see your physician immediately!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us