Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Should I be concerned?

 wallbreaker - Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:59 pm

I am a 27 year old female with a history of sexual abuse from the age of 5 to 7 from a live in babysitter. I am a loner by choice and would much rather sit by myself at work, or I would even choose to stay away from my family if at all possible. I get anxious that other people will find fault in me or that there is something "wrong" with me physically (think spinach in teeth) and therefore prefer to be by myself. Over the years I've had thoughts (innocent, I think) of hurting other people. I'll give you an example as to why I think this is innocent...If I am waiting in line to buy something, I will sometimes wonder what the person ahead of me will do if I just punched them. I of course know the difference between right and wrong and would never in my wildest dreams consider or do such a thing, but yet I still have these thoughts. My question is, is this normal? Should I be concerned? No one can really define "normal" of course, and I love being by myself, but should I delve into this deeper or just live life onwards? I am over my issues from when I was a child and am living my life as best as possible. There are little things that intrigue me in life, such as, I don't think my name suites me...I feel like it should be different, and I am often thinking of past lives and I feel I am very empathetic towards others. Hope this will help give a answer as to whether or not I should be concerned. Best of luck.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:04 pm

User avatar I would schedule an evaluation with a psychotherapist. Even if you have resolved your childhood sexual abuse issues, you could suffer from some sort of anxiety disorder that could respond to treatment. In such cases sooner, rather than later, tends to be best. You can head it off before it really negatively affects your life.

You are wise to be so in touch with your feelings and concerns. You are a good candidate for therapy since you do evaluate your feelings and question your thought processes. Being motivated to help yourself is another positive attribute.

Good luck. Let us know if there's anything we can do further to help and support you.
 wallbreaker - Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:44 pm

Thanks Debbie. Makes sense to me. I'll see if I can find someone in my area to make sure everything is resolved.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us