Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Social Anxiety?

 chickychick963 - Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:41 am

I am curious if I have a problem and if there is even anything that can be done. I am a sophomore in college and i have never felt so alone and distant before in my life. I've always been some what shy but it seems ever since high school it's gotten worse and worse. Over the past few years I have started to block people out of my life. People including my best friend, all of my old friends from high school, I even feel uncomfortable around my own brother! I didn't go to far away from home for college, I even knew some people that were attending the same school...I never kept in touch and therefore are not really friends anymore. I feel scared to call someone to hang out. As far as meeting new scares the crap out of me. I did not make any friends in my classes over the past year because I keep to myself. If I am invited to go to a party I don't go because I'm scared that I won't know anyone...if I do get up enough nerves to go it turns into a mess. I get there and I don't know anyone...I feel very uncomfortable and it's just not a normal feeling. I never used to be like this, I never use to block out my existing friends. I have been having some rough times lately and I realized I do not have one person that I can go to with my problems and that is a really big problem. I am female, 19 years old, never had any serious medical issues. I'm worried that if I go to a doctor that they are just going to tell me that I'm shy and I will grow out of it. Will they help me? I'm starting to feel like this is out of my hands..
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:40 pm

User avatar I think you should get an appointment with a behavioral health therapist or psychiatrist. This is not something you are imagining and it sounds like you will not be able to pull out of it without some help. You may have a chemical imbalance that could be helped with medication. A therapist would not be able to prescribe, so you would also need to see a doctor who treats psych disorders. Some family practice doctors have become quite good at working with this type of problem.

If you have health insurance, you could contact them for a referral, or you can check with your local mental health agency or (National Alliance on Mental Illness). There may be a support group in your area where you could meet with others who struggle with such things. It can be difficult to take the first step to getting there but you will be surprised how helpful it can be to mingle with others who also struggle.

Best wishes

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us