Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: social anxiety disorder??

megan18 - Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:07 am

I'm an 18yr old female and terrified if i have social anxiety disorder. Im not a very shy person, but get extremely uncomfortable when im the centre of attention especially in front of a large group however it even happens when im in a casual conversation with friends. I go bright red and begin sweating, i can't keep eye contact and the blushing doesn't go away for ages. I find myself trying to avoid these situations but it's rather impossible, my self esteem is suffering due to this. Please help!!
My mum was diagnosed with a mild case of OCD/schizophrenia and my two sisters who are twins with psychosis/schizphrenia. Will this happen to me?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:25 pm

User avatar Hi Megan18,
I can certainly understand your concern. Social anxiety can affect your life for sure. I would definitely recommend a psych evaluation. Explain exactly what you have said here and I'm certain you will be able to get help through pharmacotherapy (medication) and/or cognitive (talk) therapy.

There is no way to predict what you may develop in the future but getting treatment early for your current problems is a good step towards health and well-being.

Good luck

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us