Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Zoloft

tlwilson1973 - Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:49 pm

I am a 33 year old woman. I do not have insurance and can not afford dr visits. When I had insurance I went to the dr and he put me on Zoloft. What can I do now to be put back on it. It makes a world of difference for me. Is there anything that I can do to get put back on the prescription. My mood changes very quickly and I am getting very frustrated. I try and try not to be like that but I can not do it on my own.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:18 pm

User avatar The need for antidepressants such as Zoloft is related to chemical imbalance in the brain so try as you might, you may not be able to change the way you feel. Unfortunately, this is something you can only get with a prescription from a doctor or advanced practice nurse. Once you are stabilized you may be able to get some refills approved so you won't need to return too often. Try contacting a community mental health service of some type. You may be able to locate a provider who uses a sliding fee scale or something similar. Check with your public health department for referrals or NAMI (National Alliance for Mental Illness). They have a website and some places have local support groups who might be able to help you access services.

You can also read a book I recommend called, When Your Body Gets the Blues by Marie-Annette Brown and Jo Robinson . It gives some non-prescription suggestions to help with mood disorders.