Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Extreme Mood Swings that Need to Stop....

 mommy619 - Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:57 am

I am 25 years old and a mother of 2. My husband is in the military and is constantly in and out. I have a 6 year old and a 2 year old. I have been wanting to take this off my chest for quite some time now and ran into this site. I know that I have some really bad mood swings that have gotten to the point that I fear I will do something to myself or my children. I'm not sure whether it's bipolar, depression, postpartum or just anything else. I have not seen a doctor for this because I wouldn't know where to start. I have been like this since I had my daughter. I was 19 and also in the military. Since I got out in 2003 I have felt like I'm not doing anything good. I have not kept a constant job, I have yet to finish my college degree and I sometimes regret having my kids. I have always known that something is wrong and my husband has also seen these mood swings but also tries to forget them. I scream a lot and have even gotten physical with my children. I just snap at any little thing and later on regret it and I tell myself why I just didn't let it go. One moment I'm fine reading a book to them or dancing to a song and the next I'm screaming at them putting them to bed early and saying negative things to them. I just need to know where to start? What do I do? What do I say to the doctor? Thank You.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:06 am

User avatar Hello,
You have done an excellent job here of describing your symptoms. Take this information to a psychiatrist for a diagnostic workup. Don't feel alone in this - what you describe is very common and also very treatable. Many people have found with the right combination of medications, it can be like night and day. I have even heard of spouses who notice such a difference they will do whatever is necessary to support the other in getting medications, etc.

You are very wise and a concerned mother to be looking at this seriously so you can get help. You may want to contact your military health clinic to find out about getting an appointment with a specialist in mental or behavioral health. Explain to the people who are helping that you feel this is an urgent concern and even let them know if you are feeling like you are on the brink of harming yourself or others. If you feel you reach a point of crisis, call your local emergency number or reach out to a friend for help.

Best wishes.
 mommy619 - Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:19 am

When making an appointment or referring to my symtomps what would be the correct way to say it so I don't sound crazy.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:43 am

User avatar It is perfectly fine to say that you have been reading and have wondered if you might have some form of depression - recognizing that there are different types. Let him/her know you worry that you might harm your children when your behavior feels out of control.

Just tell the doctor what you told us, what kind of symptoms you are having and your worries. He/she will likely ask you questions as part of the diagnosis so you can just concentrate on answering those.

Also, if you need to get help with your children when you are feeling this way, you might look into some type of emergency child care. These are often available in a community for short-term care in the best interest of the family unit. Try your local health department or health resource hotline to find out if such a place exists for you.

Good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us