Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: GABA

tunyuyu - Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:15 pm

I have purchased GABA (gamma-amino butyric acid) in 500 mg capsules for anxiety. The bottle says take one a day with water, but I cannot find any other information about GABA and if I should take it every day (and for how long) or if I should just take it when I have an anxiety attack.
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:31 pm

User avatar Dear tunyuyu:

I wasn't aware until now that anyone was making GABA supplements. I have no idea how effective they are for anxiety. However, I do know that GABA, in the brain, is a neurotransmitter that inhibits, in general. GABA receptors in the brain are the same ones that alcohol affects, and when these receptors are bound by GABA, you feel sedated.

There is a medication, called gabapentin (Neurontin) that has been used to treat severe anxiety. However, it is not the most effective. Research studies have not supported its use for anxiety. I did find a website that has information about the effects and side effects.

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/supplements-reviews/gaba-information-effects.htm

If you find this ineffective, I would certainly suggest that you see your physician.

Good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us