Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Question: GABA

tunyuyu - Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:15 pm

I have purchased GABA (gamma-amino butyric acid) in 500 mg capsules for anxiety. The bottle says take one a day with water, but I cannot find any other information about GABA and if I should take it every day (and for how long) or if I should just take it when I have an anxiety attack.
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:31 pm

User avatar Dear tunyuyu:

I wasn't aware until now that anyone was making GABA supplements. I have no idea how effective they are for anxiety. However, I do know that GABA, in the brain, is a neurotransmitter that inhibits, in general. GABA receptors in the brain are the same ones that alcohol affects, and when these receptors are bound by GABA, you feel sedated.

There is a medication, called gabapentin (Neurontin) that has been used to treat severe anxiety. However, it is not the most effective. Research studies have not supported its use for anxiety. I did find a website that has information about the effects and side effects.

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/supplements-reviews/gaba-information-effects.htm

If you find this ineffective, I would certainly suggest that you see your physician.