Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: can psychiatrist substitute for neurologist

 susieQ1 - Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:51 pm

I guess that sounds like an odd question. I need a neurologist but the ones in my area will not accept me as a patient because or my insurance co. Sounds strange to me, I've never been turned down by a dr because I had insurance. There is a couple of board certified psychiatrist secondard neurologist available that does accept my insurance. In your opinion would they treat patients with seizures & migraines same as a neurologist would? Thanks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:58 am

User avatar No, these would be entirely different specialties, but from the point of view of them both being trained physicians, they would be able to if they were so inclined to treat you. They may not want to do that since it is not their area of expertise. A psychiatrist is a physician and as such can prescribe medication, etc. but unless he or she has a particular interest and experience with such things as migraines and seizures, it is not likely he or she would opt to delve into it with you.

If, however, you have been diagnosed and stabilized on a particular medication regime, even a family doctor will sometimes continue to prescribe the medications as part of a maintenance program, as long as things are in control that way. But, if you are still in the diagnosis stage and there is still some trial and error going on, it is unlikely you will be able to do this.

Other doctors could treat migraines and seizures from the outset, but if you have been referred to a neurologist from the other physicians, you will probably need to go that route.

Good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us