Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Follow-up to Effexor XR (from tjford)

tjford - Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:07 pm

Thanks for the quick response to my questions. Actually, I have not yet gone off Effexor XR. Today is the first day at a reduced dose of 75 mg. I am to stay at the reduced dose for one week before stopping completely and starting Celexa, which is why I am somewhat nervous about not only the withdrawal symptoms, but also serotonin syndrome. (I am not much of a medication taker, which is why I am being a bit neurotic about this. I probably only take Tylenol a few times a year and use vitamin supplements such as a multi, B-Complex. Recently tried adding amino acids but only for a very brief period). If I reduce to 75 mg. from 150 mg. for one week and then stop completely, could I potentially experience withdrawal symptoms?

I have another question. In my previous e-mail, I mentioned that I had been using an L-Tyrosine supplement for about 2 weeks (starting with 500 mg, three times a day, then 500 mg, twice a day and finally 500 mg once a day for the two week period). Are you able to tell me if a person can experience hypomania while using the amino acid L-Tyrosine or experience withdrawal symptoms after stopping an amino acid. I have been nauseaus and very anxious since I stopped the supplementation. I did a lot of research on amino acid supplementation prior to taking anything, and did not see anything about toxicity, side effects or withdrawal. The only other explanation I can think of for how I have been feeling for the past week and a half is perhaps the Depo Provera my doctor put me on to regulate my periods (Unfortunately, I did not know much about Depo before being given the injection and wasn't told much by my doctor). Any ideas?

Thanks so much.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:53 pm

User avatar For more on Effexor withdrawal and the optimal withdrawal method, please visit this page.

L-Tyrosine has not been associated with the symptoms you have described.

Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us