Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: My 8 year old saw private photo of mom.

 cruz1369 - Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:36 pm

I am worried about my daughter seeing a photo of her mother in a sexual position. My daughter was nosing around where she should not have been and came across these photos and now is very upset with her mother about them. How do I handle this? What do I say to her? Will she need counseling?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:47 pm

User avatar Hello Cruz1369,

This can be a bit of a difficult situation. My advise is to sit down with your daughter and have an open discussion with her about what she saw. Answer any questions she may have. I suspect much of her anger may actually be confusion.

Keep in mind that she is eight so try to keep the information you give her at an eight year old level. It is very possible, and probably likely, that she is not really thinking all the things that you are thinking about so talk with her and find out what she is wondering about. This way you may not need to even bring up all the things I'm sure are going through your thoughts.

If she feels like you're hiding things from her she may be more upset and more curious as to what the "big deal" is about the pictures so being open with her is likely the best way to help her cope with this.

If this is unsuccessful and there are still concerns it is certainly reasonable to have her see a therapist that specializes in child counseling to help her.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us