Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Coming off 300 mg Effexor XR

cbb1989 - Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:52 pm

I have been on Effexor XR for about 5 years. 3 years ago my physician increased my dosage from 150 mg to 300 mg.

Under my doctors care I am in the process of coming off Effexor XR and am going through what I think are "withdrawals". I feel awful. My lips and tongue are tingling. I am dizzy. I am not able to stay awake. I have extreme aches and pains in my legs and arms. Cannot quench my thirst. Is this normal and how long will this last? I have been in bed for the last 2 days.

My dose schedule has been:

150 mg once a day for 5 days
75 mg once a day for 5 days
37.5 mg once a day for 5 days
37.5 mg every other day for 2 doses
37.5 mg every third day for 2 doses
stop

I am currently on my last dose of 75 mg.

Thank you for your time.
 Dr. K. Eisele - Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:22 pm

User avatar Dear cbb1989:

Unfortunately, predicting who will have a difficult withdrawal from Effexor XR is not possible. Since you are already so uncomfortable, it would be a good idea to call your physician to ge a new discontinuation schedule that is slower. Some people have to go slower than others.

Best wishes

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us