Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Anxiety or depression? or both?

 CMD2000 - Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:28 pm


25 yr old Male Soldier...

I am writing here because I wanted a professional opinion before I go consult help on the topic. My job may depend on it.

I have been troubled with a wide variety of problems that I can't tell whether it is just whining or if they are actually issues. Sometimes when I hear about other people's problems I feel like, "Mine aren't that bad!", but I sometimes wonder if they feel the same way about me.

I can't pinpoint exactly when I started feeling this way, but I am guessing it has been the majority of my life. I am very subdued, lack confidence (I can barely look people in the eye), have a low self-esteem, unmotivated, always tired, and avoid social functions if at all possible to name a few problems. To give you an example, I recently spent a whole week in New Orleans, a city I have never been to before, and spent 90% of my free time in my hotel room (I was there for a work conference). The only time I went out was to eat (which I only ate at fast food places because I could get done quicker and didn't have to go through the embarrassment of eating alone) and to go on a haunted ghost tour (which I remained quiet and left promptly after it was over, even though the majority of the people there were my age and approachable). I make excuses to others and myself like I have homework to do, or nothing interested me so I'm not going out so I wouldn't feel like a wuss about it.

I could probably go for quite awhile, but I won't. By typing this, I have determined pretty much that it isn't me just whining and that there is something wrong. It's been this way for as long as I can remember. My biggest concern is that I am in the military and I am not sure how they will accept any diagnosis. Any suggestions on what type of professional I should see or what to research would be much appreciated.
 Dr. E. Seigle - Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:23 pm

Dear CMD2000,

I was pleased you found your inner wisdom while you were writing down your concerns and you figured out correctly that you are certainly not whining but have a legitimate problem probably falling under a category involving low self-esteem and anxiety and unhappines and perhaps feelings of inadequacy in relationships. I'm not familiar with military rules (you might want to look these up), but you might want to get yourself an evaluation with a psychologist (not a physician, less likely to suggest medication) or a psychiatrist (a physician, more likely to suggest medication), but in either case be sure that you receive a good assessment and receive psychotherapy afterward. In general, lifelong problems such as yours are often related to unhappy events and/or relationships in childhood (though not always) a discussion of these and how they influence your self-esteem, your relationships, and your important life choices is a major part of psychotherapy.

Congratulations for having the courage to look at these issues squarely'; best of luck in the future!

-Dr. Seigle
 CMD2000 - Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:34 pm

Dr. Seigle,

Thank you for the reply. It has always been difficult for me to ask for help, especially for medical issues. I going to do some research about military regulations before I determine who I go see. The last thing I need is to lose my job because the Army thinks I'm "unfit" for duty.
 Tim W Latsko - Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:05 pm


DOD has contracted through a corporation to provide no-fee consultation to military service members through local mental health providers, up to six sessions. When you contact that agency, discuss your concerns regarding confidentiality and if you are not satisfied; you can always self-pay for services. In some cases providers may offer a sliding scale depending on their case load. Contact a OneSource today at
or call 1-800-342-9647.

Good luck,

 CMD2000 - Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:23 pm

Thank you for the help Tim! I will check it out!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us