Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry AnswersBack to Psychiatry Answers List
If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.
Date of last update: 8/24/2017.
Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics
|kc0uwq - Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:35 am||
I keep going to a primary care physician, and have been told as recently as yesterday that he doesn't have time to sit here and go over my list with me. What kind of care is that???? Can someone please look over this post and maybe guide me somewhere?
I currently take Ambien 12.5mg as of 3/11/08 and Celexa for social anxiety.
I have the following symptoms:
- Restless Legs (some times entire body or severe arms & legs)
- Rapidly fall asleep most of the time - some times in seconds
- Wake up frequently but can usually go back to sleep - move around a lot during the night
- Dream immediately at times - so quickly that it ties into my awake thoughts
- Fall asleep in seconds, but when talked to I feel I heard what was said, when in fact I was asleep
- Zone out frequently while driving but I realize it and can usually shake it off
- Feel tired most of the time where taking a nap sounds better than doing other things
- Trouble focusing on school work, especially reading
- Trouble concentrating at work - especially since changing to the 3-11pm and now 11pm-7am shift
- Sleeping a few minutes makes me feel better, but effects are short term
My mother battles Fibromyalgia, Obstructive Sleep Apnea with CPAP Pressure @ 11, Narcolepsy, Cholesterol. There is a history of diabetes with my grandpa on my moms side and his mother. My mom use to take Provigil and an Adrenal Supplement. Now she takes Trazodone 50mg, Lyrica, Cymbalta, Thyroid, and Flexural.
I'm totally lost on where to start or who to talk to because doctors don't have time for me apparently. I can't figure out if I might have RLS, ADHD, or something related to what my mom might have. I just wish a doctor would actually sit down and listen to what I'm saying for once.
Thanks for any help
|Dr. E. Seigle - Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:24 pm||
You must feel dismissed when your doctor says that there is not time to discuss your concerns, which sound of significant concern. Since there are quite a few and their causes could be numerous, my suggestion is that you find a family doctor or internist who will give you a full assessment and physical; you may want at the same time to schedule a full psychiatric evaluation. It sounds like you may have some kind of sleep disorder, one possibility includes narcolepsy, though others are possible as well. After you get your comprehensive history and physical, it may be appropriate for you to see a sleep specialist; they are usually associated with major hospitals.
Good luck: remember, first you need a good evaluation! -Dr. Seigle
|| Check a doctor's response to similar questions|
Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?
Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community
Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.
Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.