Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Headache with Lexapro

jen334 - Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:02 pm

I started taking Lexapro and Ambien two days ago. The first day I felt ok, but today I have a splitting headache. I have a history of headaches, which are well controlled at this time. Due to my headache history, I was started on only 5 mg of Lexapro. I really want this to work. Do headaches sometimes go away as treatment continues?
 Dr. E. Seigle - Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:44 pm

Dear Jen334,

Yes, often the headaches will go away as your body accomodates to the medication. If you feel that you can tolerate waiting a little bit, you may find that the headaches stop. However, it may take a few days to a week or two. If the headaches persist or worsen, contact your doctor. Good luck!

-Eliot Seigle MD
 Dr. E. Seigle - Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:49 pm

Dear Jen334,

Yes, often the headaches will go away as your body accomodates to the medication. If you feel that you can tolerate waiting a little bit, you may find that the headaches stop. However, it may take a few days to a week or two. If the headaches persist or worsen, contact your doctor. Good luck!

-Eliot Seigle MD

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us