Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: ZOLOFT INCREASE

Mason4477 - Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:39 pm

Hello. I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder and put on Zoloft. For the last month I was taking 50 mg with no side effects except dry mouth and dry eyes for the first couple of days. My doctor raised it two days ago to 100 mg. Last night I got very lightheaded and almost passed out. Began shaking, really fast heartbeat, cold chills and sweat, diarrhea, and my body felt heavy all over I could barely walk because my legs were stiff. I ate a yogurt and felt a little better within 30 minutes and fell asleep. I feel a little better today, but I still feel a little shaky on the inside. Is this normal??
 Dr. E. Seigle - Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:07 pm

Dear Mason4477,

You are likely having a not uncommon adverse reaction to the increased dose of Zoloft. What you experienced yesterday sounds like potentially serious adverse reactions to the Zoloft, as well as common, less serious side effects to Zoloft and similar medications. It is encouaging that you are somewhat better today. An immediate reduction in your dose of Zoloft is likely appropriate, and I would discuss this right away with your prescribing physician. He or she may want you to take a day off from the Zoloft tomorrow and then restart it the next day at 75 mg per day, or simply reduce to 75 mg per day tomorrow. Again, talk to your physician tomorrow before taking any Zoloft. If stiffness, shivering, or fever comes back, it is a potential emergency (possibly representing an adverse reaction known as the serotonin syndrome) and you should call your doctor immediately or go to the emergency room. Good luck!

-Eliot Seigle MD