Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Question: Klonopin not working

raereeser - Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:23 pm

I just recieved my Rx for Klonopin. I was advised to take 1/2 of a 1 mg tablet at bedtime. So, I did. However, I feel better for about 3 hours. Then the anxiety comes right back. Should I try to take a full 1 mg pill or should I stop taking it and ask for something else. After the effects wear off, I noticed I was even more irritable and still jumpy/ panicky. Is there another med. that could be better for me? I do need immediate relief. Please help me.
 Dr. E. Seigle - Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:42 pm

Dear raesser,

It is a good idea to talk to your doctor about possibly increasing your dose of the Klonopin. You have started with a low, starting dose, and often it is an inadequate amount. To have increased anxiety as the medication effect wears off is common (known as "rebound" anxiety). Please talk to your doctor before making any changes. Good luck!

Eliot Seigle MD