Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: I think I'm losing it== maybe hypnosis would help

 problems101 - Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:48 pm

I have a pelvic pain that I've been seeking answers for since July 07, Each time I get refered to a different type of doctor, I'm so thankful with the doctor because they seem so sure, Then the referal doctor doesn't agree & It's a big let down. I was doing ok through Doctor number 6.

It just happened with doctor number 7 and he said he was going to refer me back to my obgyn. My doctor wanted me to ask my obgyn a question, so I did to prepare for my gastro doctor visit & the nurse seemed to get upset & told me, The doctor told me it's not an obgyn problem.

My gastro doctor said it's not a gastro problem & suggested I see my obgyn. I can't go back after being told that by the nurse. So i feel stuck.

Can hypnosis train a mind to ignor a pain? many doctors are telling me I've been tested for so much that I should be happy it's not serious. But I'm not feeling well.

Sorry to bother you with this but It looks like I'm going to have to train myself to ignore this & I don't think I can go through the medical field. If you search my posts you'll see I've been dealing with this for a very long time

 Dr. E. Seigle - Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:50 pm

Dear problems101,

It must be very frustrating to get referred around and not get any answers! Chronic pain can be improved with some types of hypnosis, relaxation, and meditation techniques, as well as cognitive-behavioral therapy, all with a psychologist or psychiatrist experienced with treating chronic pain. You might want to ask at a university medical center near you or at your community mental health center. Good luck!

Eliot Seigle MD
 problems101 - Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:12 pm

forgive me for being stupid, but I never, ever, ever thought of going to a psychotrist before. So I know they are doctors but do they have medical backrounds, if I take all my tests in, would that be helpful?

I looked at the yellow pages There is a behavior health psychiatry -- is that the same thing? I'm in Lancaster, pa There's not many psy doc's listed.

I can't believe, I'm even thinking of going but, I'm stuck & I don't think my doc's want to see me? Should I be embarrased to ask my family physician what he thinks or who he'd recommend? I wonder if my doc's believe me about this pain

Any thoughts?
 Tim W Latsko - Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:09 am

Hello problems101,

I have reviewed all your posts in their entirety and agree with Dr. Seigle that a psychiatric evlauation will be helpful in your pursuit of peace with your body. I believe that the behavioral health psychiatrist or your family doctor will be able to refer you to an clinician who can assist you and who will help you understand what is going on with your body.

That said, I think it is very important for the person who evaluates you to read the 33 posts you have made. Mainly because they capture all the different tests you have been through and your feelings about them.

The constellation of symptoms you present suggests that you may be suffering from a somatization disorder. That term is nothing more than the psychiatric term for pain. This is based on the totality of information you have presented in your posts and results of investigative medical procedures. A diagnosis can only be amde with a face to face clinical evaluation.

The great news is that a somatoform disorder is treatable and responsive to medication and/or psychotherapy. So don't hesitate any further and go to your family doctor or a psychiatrist for an evlauation and ask them to rule out somatization disorder.

I wish you luck and it's time to make that appointment, that is the hard part! Good luck and keep us posted.


 problems101 - Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:43 pm


I've been asking for donations for a high school post prom & one of the office buildings had a hypnosis guy there. We talked for a little & no guarentee's but he's willing to try to help.

I only hope you know how much I appreciate you Doctors here & willingness to pick up. where my doctors have shut doors.

Thanks again
 problems101 - Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:14 am

I read your post & I've been messing with this pain long enough to consider a psychiatrist. I already got info from a hypnotist, However, messaging one on-line is easy compared to making this appointment. there is a stigma about doing this. So -- no offense but, I'd like to ask. . .

They don't go into my past & blame everything on my mom & dad? I love my parents.

I also don't want to become one of the ones that become dependent on them & go back to them rest of their entire lives.

Also, my grandma got hooked on valium because she complained to much & the doc kept upping this medicine. I need to function.

If I'd get called to jury duty or a job & they find out that I was at one -- is there a risk to me?

I'm sure these are just fears & forgive me if this is a stereotype, but it's the image that pops in my head.
 Tim W Latsko - Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:49 pm

It is unlikely that the provider you chose to explore this issue or others with will default to blaming your parents. Given your vigilance as it relates to becoming dependant on a therapist it is unlikely that you will. However, to prevent that from happening ask your therapist to develop a treatment plan with you that sets specific goals with clearly defined time lines.

As for your medicaiton concerns, your mental health care, hopefully, will be based on the least restrictive care, meaning you should not be prescribe any type of medication that is not indicated. That said as with all care received, you have choices, so be an active consumer and participant in your mental health care and ask questions. Be sure you understand before you depart.

I do not believe that you are any under obligation for jury duty to disclose that you have received medical care for mental health reasons. Nor would it be necessary to disclose to an employer a mental health condition, unless of course you are requesting reasonable accomodations or it affect your abiity to carry out those job functions, and then only to the point that you are requesting acccomodations. Bottom line here is that there are a number of variables therefore, in any case before any type of disclosure is made on your part do not hesitate to contact the appropriate authority to determine what degree of disclosure is necessary. It is your choice with whom who choose to share your medical concerns.

Good luck and keep us posted.

 problems101 - Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:05 am


I mentioned to you that I had talked with someone who offers hypnosis to help with pain (are they doctors?), anyway He told me if I did that he prefers peope to get a referal and I mentioned to you that there aren't many psychiatrists in my yellow pages,(I'm sure there are more if I get a county phone book). so I wrote my family physician a mini letter to tell him I'm considering psychiatrist to deal with the pain. Does he have anyone he recommends?

He called & said go back to the gastro. He said the gastro sent him a letter & said I was discharged because I was feeling better & I was, I thought this pain was a side effect of the vicodine & when I stopped the meds I got better. Pain has picked up the last 3 days. I'm walking around holding my side. ( around the 3rd of each month would be my cycle, this timing issue == I can't get out of my head it just seems like the connection but doctor's deny this)

Anyway he wants me to go back to a gastro & said he don't think I need to seek psychological help.

I guess I'll drop a note to my gastro & tell him to make my file active again.

I hate to ask you again, but what do you think? I know we've never met, & you don't have any records of mine. Again I'm lost.

If anything I should probably just see a psychiatrist to just to help out with the highs & lows of this process plus me trying to be my own doctor doesn't work out too well.

 Tim W Latsko - Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:25 am

I see nothing wrong with consulting with gastro and a psychiatrist.

Good Luck!

 problems101 - Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:01 pm

a friend of mine had pain that the doctor's couldn't find a reason for & sent her to a psychiatrist and it really helped. she said she has energy and not so negative any more and overall is just upbeat. So I called her psychiatrist but I mentioned that I have pain, her staff said she's not that kind of doctor and to see one about 30 miles away who deals with chonic pain.

I called her office back to ask if she'd be willing to see me once & if she's not comfortable with me -- will stop there. they will call me next week and go over some things. They really want a referal but I told them my family doc wants me to go back to the gastro. I did tell them I'd write a brief history of what I've been through if she would read through it maybe it would help her decide if I should be her patient. they didn't like that idea.

Is that reasonable of me to ask for a meeting/assesment or am I just pushing my way in with the wrong type of physician?

Am I too despret looking for answers. this doc is a behavior psychiatrist, you've seen my posts is there something specific I should be telling her?

I wish I was feeling better.

any thoughts
 problems101 - Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:43 am

I found another alternative, the psychiatrist thing didn't work out. They didn't think they were the right office for me & didn't make the appointment.

I found a pelvic pain clinic. His name is dr. echenberg who works with a team of doctors, including a psychiatrist. the first appointment is very comprehensive & it's 2-3 hours. He also has a gastro, he's an obgyn, urologist, who he works as a group to get answers.

ON his questionair there are 2 pages of questions dealing with pain & it's impact on my emotions, if I go out, weight gain, if tests make me worry, dissapoint,or if I feel guilty, if I cry ect.

I've already begun signing papers to have files transfered there. he's 1 1/2 hours away but I'm going,

Am anxious for this appointment. I feel I need to be looked at as a whole, His doctors will talk & I'm hoping to get an answer, He's promising no quick fix but after 8 months, I just need to guard myself & not get my hopes up again.

 Tim W Latsko - Thu May 01, 2008 3:05 pm

It sounds like you are on the right track, good luck and keep us posted!

 problems101 - Sat May 24, 2008 6:50 pm

I met with a chronic pain specialist/obgyn. The first appointment is 2 hours, he sends out multiple questionairs about the pain & then sits with you in his office & reviews everything. I told him about my pain & gave him a list of the 6 doctors that I've seen & mentioned to him that I called a psychiatrist office before making this appointment.

He brought up a powerpoint presentation & showed me the typical pattern that people who deal with chronic pain tend to follow. Every doctor that I had was on his list. the 2 that I didn't see was the psychiatrist & the hypnotist, but they were on my list. So I'm NORMAL YEAH!!!

He then explains that doctors look for diseases but don't look at the nerves. He showed me in a diagram that there are nerves that run through the pelvic floor. I have a tight pelvic floor and my nerves are having spasms & I hurt. He gave me a nerve "block" in my pelvis & the pain went away for a few hours. Now I have to see a physical therepist for muscle streaching exercises.

He showed me that I am technically depressed. I cried in his office & he asked me what triggered the tears, I told him that He said he believes me. My husband & family say if the test don't show anything wrong than I need to ignor & just go on & quit worring, but I have the pain. Anyway he gave me a physical & reviewed all my tests. I'm on anti-depressants & I'll go weekly for therapy & pelvic nerve block, I might not do that - it only works for 1 day & this doctor is 1 1/2 hour drive away.

I also told him about my encephelitis and that I died & was revived as an infant & he thinks that is the beginning of nerve trouble.

so anyway. We're starting from a different angle now. So thanks for your help & I am on an antidepressant nortriptyline & gabapentin I'll be anxious to see how I do.

 Tim W Latsko - Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:17 am

Sounds like you are on you way! Good Luck and keep us posted!
 problems101 - Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:43 pm


I thought I'd update you, I'm dealing with this pelvic pain with the anti depressants, physical therapy, nerve block shots, and I'm managing.

He wants to start me on lupron injections. So many people I've talked with didn't do good on lupron-- bad side effects, He told me he will use add back medicine so I'm not to be alarmed but I told him don't order any meds -- I'm not ready to commit.

My mom had a heart attack a few weeks ago & she's doing great, but I go with her to her follow up appointments, I'm hosting a block party & going to a wedding & I'can't afford side effects like lupron gives.

I wrote my local obgyn for a second opinion about lupron & to ask him if I do the lupron thing & get side effects would he consider being my doctor or would he make me drive 1 1/2 hours up to the chronic pain specialist, he won't talk with him unless I'm seen. He'll see me in 3 weeks. I'm so annoyed.

My memory is getting worse. I had encephelitis as an infant & seizures till age of 6, I wrote about de ja vu, but my memory is horrible these last few weeks. I can't remember what happened 2-3 hours ago. At work, I can't remember customers, I'm losing paperwork, I'm forgetting that I wrote out checks. I forget so bad that I believe I could pass a lie detector test, If they'd ask did you write a check out, & I said no, I think I could beat the machine. I took cash from a lady. I can't find the slip, I can't remember, her name, what she bought or if it was a deposit. The only reason I know I took the cash is because the money showed up when I was there alone. even my meds, I can't remember if I took them or not & I'm 40. I remember in part, I'll have some memory of taking them,but I can't tell you if that memory is from yesterday or this morning. I'm scared, My husband ordered, memory vitamins, DMAE & something else.

I'm scaring myself. My obgyn is 1 1/2 hours away & I need to use a map each time I go & I've gone every week for 5 weeks now. Certain buildings look so right & then the next building looks like I never seen it before.

Mom thinks I'm just stressing myself out. I just don't know. I'm ordering a tens unit to help with my chronic pelvic pain. Maybe I do have too much going on. At least I remember the maps & how to read them !!!

I'm not kidding, I think something is really going wrong with my memory!

Have a good evening,
 Tim W Latsko - Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:39 am


It may be time for you to request reasonable accomadations with your doctor to assist you in the work environment. It sounds like your disability is affectin your daily life activities.

conitinue to keep us posted.

 problems101 - Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:47 pm


I'm still dealing with the chronic pain & am doing physical therapy, nerve block shots & have decided to start lupron.

This week my doctor was on vacation so I didn't get my nerve block shot & it's my time of the month & my pain is back with a vengence. I'm really bummed, tired & am just wondering if all my attempts at conquering this pain has been for naught.

I did take my antidepression meds gabapetin & pamalor, but I guess I'm just going to have to have a reality check that I may not get better. When people have to accept that a level of pain will be normal for the rest of their life, do they seek help from a psychiatrist?

I don't want to accept this but I've got to stop crying & learn to deal with it. I have too much going on & I have to learn to be tougher than what I am.

I do have up coming doctors appointments so maybe I need to talk with him or is this more of a psychiatrist's work

 Dr. E. Seigle - Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:59 pm

Dear problems101,

This must be very frustrating and discouraging. My suggestion is that you write to the Gynecology specialty on this web site and summarize the history of your pelvic pain, and what imaging studies, blood tests, and other studies have been done to date. Also, what diagnoses havebeen considered and what medications have been taken. You might want to send the same to the Gastroenterology specialty of this web site. Have you seen a psychiatrist yet? Sometimes women with pelvic pain of unknown cause are found to have histories of sexual abuse. When you contact the psychiatrist, you may want to formulate it that you are wondering if the psychiatrist can help you figure out if you have very been a trauma victim, and then repressed or "forgotten" the trauma. Sometimes, repressed trauma befomes somaticized, or expressed as a body symptom.

Good luck! E. Seigle MD
 Tim W Latsko - Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:51 pm

I hope this email finds you in more comfort; your chronic pain clearly is debilitating; the medications can aid with managing the pain, and a good cognitive behavioral treatment approach can aid in learning new coping thoughts and skills. Whatever you have chosen to do or not do, I want to encourage you to continue to take your medications as prescibed, until you meet with pain management specialist and OBGYN.

 problems101 - Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:31 am


The last few days, I've had my pain increase, I'm losing my confidence in this obgyn & think I need a psychiatrist. I was excited & on board for my treatment, I knew it wasn't going to be a short term thing. Maybe 5 months isn't considered enough time, but pelvic pain specilist explained that my flare ups are cycle related & to take lupron to stop my cycle. I did drag my feet on the treatment because of the side effects but I went with it. I've had 1 shot a month for 3 months. It cost me $250 a shot.

I've had pain & flare ups for the last 3 days. vicodin lessens it. Vicodin use to put me to sleep but it's getting like asprin for me.

I'm concerned that if the lupron was to stop my cycle & stop this pain. After 3 shots if I'm still getting sick. It's got to be in my head and maybe I need to tell my doctor, I'm starting to hit a low again, I was so excited to get a specialist, I got my hopes us, but today with the pain I just cry.

Maybe someone just needs to tell me there is no solution & I'll just stay in pain killer la la land for a while.

I wish I had a doctor that I could talk to. This specialist is a great doctor, He's so proud he's helped so many women, I just don't think I'm one of them.

I'm rethinking hypnosis

Thanks for listening
 problems101 - Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:49 pm

It's been a tough week, The pain is flaring up & I keep looking for books on Chronic pain. I want answers but I think my constant looking for answers is starting to get to me. I called an anesthesiaologist to ask him to do the shots for my nerve injections & he said he don't work on women's pelvis.

It's a strange cycle, I feel the need to be my own doctor & search for answers, but I feel like it's a hopeless cause, so when I stop, I keep thinking I need to be searching. What's wrong with me. it's like I have no confidence in any decisions.

I don't know what's wrong with me.

 problems101 - Tue May 12, 2009 8:40 pm


I'm still dealing with this pelvic pain, I believe my doctor has given up on me. He has suggested Myofascial release massages and Eastern meditation and gave me several choices.

Is Psychiatry similar to what these meditation treatments do? They get you quiet and imagine pain leaving with breathing techniques. ect. I tried a class but I do better with my pelvic pain by doing things. Getting quiet, I tend to focus on the pain.

THanks to all of you, this pain has taken me on different paths, Maybe I should just get a psychiatrist to talk to instead of bothering family & friends,

I will be seeing a urologist in another state as a last effort to see if this is a physical problem.

 problems101 - Wed May 20, 2009 9:13 pm


Still looking for answers to this chronic pain, trying an out of state urologist but he wants me to have a neuro consult? Who does that?

 problems101 - Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:09 pm

I'm going to try another doctor to find answers to this pelvic pain.

i really have a desire to find out what's wrong, but at the same time this search is taking too much time of my life, parts of me want to say , just stop it & ignore it. then I say "maybe the next doctor will have an answer". Are there "stages" people go through?

I just keep searching & my husband wants me to stop dwelling on it & go on, I know he's right but I just can't help but think someone has to have an answer & It might be the next doctor.

Do I have a problem?
 problems101 - Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:59 pm

I've posted multiple times here about my pelvic pain. I found doctor #14 He's an endocrinologist who works in fertility patients & he said most of their problems are from pelvic pain so he was willing to evaluate me. He says in his notes that I'm a puzzeling case & wanted me to get an MRI . So I did & the report says "nothing found" except a small cyst but it's on the wrong side.

I don't get it? Is there any good websites on referred pain? This is so real why is nothing showing up on even the most detailed tests?

I tell myself if nothing is found then I'm going to quit looking, but now that nothing was found, I feel hopeless, and discouraged. When I get the pain flares, I have no options except pain killers & then go to bed.

Why am I so uniques that no one can find it?

thanks for reading this
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:16 pm

Hello, problems101,

Since all the medical evaluations have been negative, it would be worth the time to have a psychological evaluation. Your memory problems could very well be related to the stress that you are dealing with, but either a neurological evaluation or psychological evaluation can quite readily clarify that issue. A neurologist would perform the neurological evaluation, and a psychologist or psychiatrist would perform the psychological evaluation. Because you've been to so many doctors and have been relying on your memory, I encourage you to make a daily record of your symptoms, including what the symptom is, when it happens, what you were doing when it started, how long it lasts, what helps or makes it worse, and any other information you feel is important. This can help your doctor identify any diagnostic pattern, as well as help him or her see the overall effect on your life. It can also help you see objectively how often the symptoms occur.

I hope this information is helpful to you.
 problems101 - Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:10 am

Believe it or not I did find one more doctor, I went to hershey medical a teaching hospital & he is an obgyn & believes I need to check into neuropothy as a cause. My issue with this diagnosis is my pain started 4 years ago & diabetes was diagnosed one year ago. I always thought the diabetes came first then the nerve pain.

duringt the speculum exam he seen that the hysterectomy was startingto crystallize & he burned it. I don't know what that means, but I'll see if that helps my pain issue.

I'm also confused about why he wants me to see an endocriniologist & not a neurologist. So I wrote him a letter & will fax it to him with questions.

thanks for your reply.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:45 pm

Hello problems101,

It's not unusual to have memory problems when one is under as much stress as you are. It may help you to use lists and a planning diary, to record upcoming appointments, etc. Using maps is a good tool. Use a specific place in your purse for receipts and records received during the day; perhaps your husband can help you sort them out in the evening. Your current treatment plan sounds positive.

Good luck to you and I hope things start improving soon.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us