Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Question: Endorphin Control

ickythump21 - Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:11 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right section for this or not, but it seemed like the only appropriate area.
This post mainly concerns Endorphins and how it almost seems like I can control them when they get "turned on" or released. I'm sure you've heard of a "warm fuzzy" where someone says something nice or does something for you. Ever since I was a kid when I get one of these feelings I can keep the feeling going for 15 to 20 minutes. It's basically like a "high" as the back of my neck and spine tingle and I'm almost in a euphoric state.
Everyone else I explain this to has no idea what I am talking about. It's like as soon as the endorphins, or whatever feel good chemicals they may be, are released I can keep them triggered for quite some time just by focusing. It doesn't take much for them to get turned on either but simply someone showing they care about you. A major episode happens about once a month.
Any ideas?
Anyone else experience the same thing?
 Dr. A. Madia - Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:23 am

Endorphins are secreted by the hypothalamus. They are the 'feel good' chemicals. Positive results, rewards, appreciation, love, sex etc trigger these endorphins. They have positive health effects on the human body. They stimulate the immune system. They cause vasodilatation. They reduce platelet stickiness.

Hypothalamus is nothing but a physical extension of the Brain tissue. When one keeps thinking about the feel good factor, the neuronal pathway could be triggered repeatedly and a prolonged flow of endorphins can happen.

On the other hand some adverse event follows the positive event endorphins can stop immediately and we experience that the euphoria is short lived.

Apurva