Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Question: Is melitonin ok to take if you have Bi-polar?

Bru023 - Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:21 pm

Hello i am interested in trying a melatonin supplement to help me sleep longer and better and get to sleep faster the only problem is that ive been diagnosed with bipolar , and have done some research and found multiple articles claiming melitonin is benificial for people with Bi-polar and schizophrenia , but i also have came across some warnings against depressed people and taking melatonin and to consult a a doctor before use . I was wondering about the final verdict on melatonin can it be taken by people with mental conditions? when i was in the hospital i was given Ambien to help me sleep . Thank you for any help
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:49 am

I don't know of any specific warnings against taking melatonin with mental illnesses and most likely the concern would be with any drug to drug interactions. So, it might depend on what medications you are on. It is always best to check with your prescribing physician when adding over-the-counter medications to a prescription. In some cases you can decrease the effectiveness of your treatment or exacerbate symptoms so your doctor should be aware of your questions, needs and sleep issues.