Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Paxil and drug test?

jack2626 - Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:02 am

I have to take an 10 panel immunoassay gs/ms confirm w/nit (drug test). I am currently on 20mg of paroxetine and do NOT want to disclose this info to my employer. Will or can the drug show up? SSRI's are not one of the drugs they are looking for..Test looks for thc,cocaine,benzos,barbituates,amphet,propox,methane,methaqualade(sp),codeine,mmda
ethyl alcohol, and maybe tricyclics....
If they run the gs/ms can they find the paxil? Will it cause a false positive? Thanks!
 Dr. E. Seigle - Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:33 am

Hi jack2626,

I am not an expert on this, but I am reasonably certain that Paxil will not show up on a drug of abuse test. It is not in any of the chemical categories measured by the drug of abuse tests. I think that you can rest easy on this one!

-Eliot Seigle MD