Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Question: Any over the counter meds that can help me relax?

andreas - Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:08 am

I am very nervous when it comes to interviews,and i have not been able to get a job because of this. my symptoms include heart racing, sweating and shaking.
I was wondering if there are any over the counter meds i can take to help me relax? I have been on medication for panic attacks and i found it very hard to come back off it, so i don't really want to take them again.
 Dr. E. Seigle - Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:14 pm

Hi andreas,

Unfortunately, to my knowledge, there aren't any over-the-counter medications that will lower anxiety. Occasionally, diphenhydramine is used, but it can make you sleepy or just not work. Often I treat people with just occasional or rare anti-anxiety medication when needed once in a while. To use a medication like alprazolam rarely would not cause the physical dependence that you have experienced in the past. Another thought is to have some psychotherapy, such as a type called systematic desensitization, to help you handle interviews. This would be done with a psychologist, in general. Good luck!

-Eliot Seigle MD