Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Klonopin and remeron, weaknes, anxiety and depression

 caseyclyde - Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:47 pm

i have been taking klonopin for 6 weeks or more 3 x' a day.5mg, and remeron 30mg at bedtime with remeron, i will see my pcp next monday get hot flashes from time to time,weakness in arms and knees,my mood is depressed i am not happy something is wrong and i don't know which med is causing these terrible feelings what should i do ?
 caseyclyde - Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:26 pm

i went today and my pcp switched me to wellbutrin 150 mg in the morning for 14 days the twice a day does this sound ok
 Dr. E. Seigle - Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:39 pm

Hi Caseyclyde,

It's not clear to me what is going on, it depends on your diagnosis and condition and symptoms before starting the medications. Klonopin can cause sleepiness and depression as side effects, and Remeron can also cause sleepiness and feeling, sluggish, heavy, trouble thinking clearly. You should discuss with your doctor when the symptoms started; after starting or increasing which medication, or if they occurred before starting them. Remeron is an antidepressant, so I'm guessing that you have been depressed, so maybe your symptoms are part of the original depression. Interestingly, Remeron causes less sleepiness at higher doses, and you might need a higher dose if the depression is that which you felt originally. If the Klonopin is increasing the depression, this may need to be lowered or stopped.

Sometimes when things get complex like this, it might be good to have a referral to a psychiatrist, who probably is more experienced in treating your condition. Also, you may need a talk therapist (psychotherapist). It's acceptable to ask this of your PCP.

Good luck! -Eliot Seigle MD

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us