Question: Online degrees for psychiatry?

JaclynH - Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:29 am

I am 20 years old with a newborn. I am a military spouse so it is impossible for me to attend a ground campus college. I am determined to become a psychiatrist. Do med schools have anything against online degrees? Any suggestions/advice? Thanks!
 Dr. E. Seigle - Fri May 02, 2008 6:45 pm

Hi Jacklyn

I don't know that definitive answer to that; I've never heard of an on-line medical degree. You might want to write to the organization that accredits medical schools, and ask them. i believe the acronym for this is the ACGME. Historically, you also would need to have a bachelor's degree as well as the appropriate pre-medical school college courses.

Good luck,

Eliot Seigle MD