Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Eleven year old son has anger, mood changes - treatment?

 Jazz - Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:48 am

My son is eleven but highly hormonaly developed, mustache, underarm hair, pubic hair... anger, mood changes, bad skin eruptions, etc. Do I put him on a seratonin product like fluoxetine? We have a history of suicide and manic depression.
He is nearly six foot.
 Dr. E. Seigle - Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:53 pm

Hi Jazz,

Your son's premature sexual development should be assessed by a pediatric endocrinologist to rule out a hormonal abnormality such as precocious puberty, or his excessive growth by checking for a growth hormone tumor. These can be assessed I believe with some blood tests and a brain MRI; these to rule out a pituitary gland tumor or a testicular tumor, or possibly an adrenal gland tumor, which can be serious or just benign. It is important to get this checked outright away!

-Eliot Seigle MD

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us