Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Can I take amino acids w/ Effexor XR?

mom374 - Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:17 pm

Hello. I am on 150 mg./day of Effexor XR for depression and anxiety. I have been on this drug for about 10 years. I have tried other antidepressants, but none of them work for me like the Effexor has. It has taken care of the anxiety and panic attcks very well, but I just tired of the side effects and they have been wearing on me over the years. I stay groggy and require alot of sleep. I fatigue very easily and my brain feels "foggy" much of the time. I have been exploring natural alternatives lately. I have been doing alot of research on amino acid supplements and I think this could work for me.

I feel that I have a definite neurotransmitter depletion and that amino acid therapy could help. I am interested in taking amino acid capsules or powder and/or HTP. I am just wondering about the reaction with the Effexor. Can I take these two things together or are there any known risks?

Thank you!
 Dr. E. Seigle - Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:05 pm

Mom374,

When you say the amino acid HTP, I assume that you tryptophan, which is the amino acid precursor to serotonin, but I am not sure; correct me if I am wrong. If you take tryptophan along with Effexor, you are subject to the possibility of having what is called a serotonin syndrome, which is a potentially dangerous set of symptoms caused by an excess of brain serotonin. If you want to clarify regarding the amino acid, please make another posting.

-E. Seigle MD