Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: should i have psychiatric problems

 kazza26 - Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:08 am

i think i should explain a few things first
as a child i was sexually abused by my step dad,i have 4 siblings 2 of which are my real brother and sister and 2 of which are my half,lucky enough my step dad didnt abused anyone else just me
my half brother recently has been dx with depression due 2 him feeling guilty about his father abusin me says he feels betrayed by him and is worried he will end up like his dad,my full sister has been dx with depression so has my mum both said due 2 my abused and other things,,
like most abused ppl i feel 2 blame for my abuse like i could of done something and now i feel guilty that my family have depression
my dad has depression but he has had it for 35 yrs so its not caused by my abuse,if anything my dad is quite unsensitive 2 me over my abuse said it was hardly a huge issue and that all my step dad did was touch my knee,and that i should just move on ,it as a hell of a lot more then him touchin my knee,my mum went mad at him over it.recently my sister was flashed by some pervert and my dad was all over her huggin her offerin her support which he never offered me,and that hurts
anyways 2 the point
apart from psychological issues such as not likin sex bein unable 2 get in a relationship with men,i don't have any other things wrong with me like ptsd,depression ect..i know people that have been abused with these issues and feel guilty that i don't,they said that i don't have them issues because ive blocked it out and if i saw a psychiatrist then the issues would be unblocked and id then get psychiatric disorders and that would be the best thing for me,coz it will help me move on,,i havent blocked anything i remember it all.however i do want 2 be able 2 have normal relationships with men and not wanna kill them,well not literally kill them but feel comfry with them,,but i dnt wanna go 2 a psychiatrist if i am gonna develop mental health conditions by seein one

does any of that make sense

 Dr. E. Seigle - Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:49 pm

Hi kazza26,

It sounds like your experiences of child sexual abuse is preventing you from having intimate relationships with men, and that you would like to change that. Obtaining psychotherapy from a qualified therapist, experienced in working with abuse victims, would be the way to get help for this. Your question, and it is a good one, is would the process of psychotherapy actually elicit, trigger, or draw out symptoms related to your abuse experiences, such as symptoms of depression, PTSD, or feelings of anxiety and/or anger. It is certainly possible that you could experience deeper and a wider variety of feelings, and some of these may be negative feelings. It is also possible that the treatment could trigger a full-fledged psychiatric disorder, such as PTSD. For example, you could become more fearful of men, or you could develop nightmares. In principle, these symptoms would be expected to be temporary, and then go away as your treatment proceeds, but one cannot be completely certain. The bottom line is, assuming there is some risk of temporarily increased upset feelings associated with therapy, and a small risk of a severe psychiatric disorder being triggered and then likely treated; are these risks worth the gains you might achieve by developing the ability to have intimate relationships with men? Every treatment involves some degree of risk, and this would be a decision for you to make.

An experienced therapist will know when the treatment carries a high risk of destabilizing a patient, and will slow down the uncovering process in cases of trauma. Or, they might even stop it, until you are strengthened by the therapy to do the necessary uncovering work.

So, this is what treatment for you might involve. You could have a "trial" of therapy for a month or two, and guage to what degree that the treatment is triggering symptoms, and then decide whether to proceed based on that.

Good luck!

-E. Seigle MD
 kazza26 - Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:38 am

thanks for answering my question.the reason i asked this and yes i know what am going to say is wrong,but even though i hate sex my need for a baby is powerful.i have sex not very often once every 4 months with this lad ive known since i was 15,he doesnt know about my abuse.i found for some reason i find it easier having sex from behind then from in front,he says its like trying to get through a vice type grip from front,am more relaxed the other way as i cant see him from behind,am basically using him for a child,yes its wrong i know.i realise that,thats why i need to sort myself out ,so thanks for answering this.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us