Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Having tightness in throat.

 sassy4me - Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:54 am

For the past month I have had a feeling of having a knot in my throat. It started with my eye tingling, and then my cheek while having a headache. The feeling in my throat started and it started to scare the life out of me so I went to a doctor. The first doctor gave me prenazone and said it was Bellspaulsy. She ordered a CAT scan and everything was normal. I went back after a week with the same symptoms and no change so she said it was stress and gave me Lexapro. I had a horrible reation to it and refuse to ever take it again. So after all this I went to another doctor. Now my throat has a knot in it and i swear that i feel like im going to choke to death in my sleep. The tightness was so bad it went into my shoulder and down my arm. This doctor said i did not need the other medicine because im not depressed. He did give me zanax and said that it was anxiety and that i should see a phyciatrist. It has been a month since i saw the last doctor and still all i have is this knot in my throat. Its very scary and i have come to find out that there is no way i can afford a phyciatrist. Im trying but i cant. I have an appointment scheduled with an ENT doctor but its not for another 2 weeks. Is there anything else i can do? Does this sound normal? I can swallow just fine but im scared its getting worse. I just want to feel normal.
 Dr. E. Seigle - Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:04 pm

Hi sassy4me,

It is a good idea to see the ENT doctor to rule out any medical problem with your throat. Then, go ahead and see the psychiatrist; certainly, throat and chest tightness, a sense of choking, or smothering, when combined with a number of other symptoms, can be part of panic attacks. The psychatrist will know best how to treat this, or to make the correct diagnosis if this is not the one. In addition, medication is not required, if you have panic disorder, cognitive-behavioral therapy with a psychologist can also treat the disorder successfully.

Good luck! Remember, it's just an uncomfortable feeling, try to take some deep breaths and let it be there; the more one "pushes:" against the symptom, the more it "pushes" back.

-E. Seigle MD

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us