Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: ZOLOFT WITHDRAWAL

Mason4477 - Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:53 pm

I was on 50 mg Zoloft daily paired with 0.25 mg Xanax 3 times daily since March. I had horrible headaches while on Zoloft, so I decided to go off of it. I cut it in half for a week and then cut it in half again for another week. I have not had any Zoloft in 2 days now. I have been SO dizzy. I almost feel like I am in slow motion. Every time I move my eyes I feel like I am in a dream, it is the strangest feeling. Is this normal??
 Dr. E. Seigle - Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:51 pm

Dear mason4477,

I'm assuming that you haven't cut back your xanax (which might cause a severe withdrawal reaction), you are probably having the common SSRI discontinuation syndrome. It sounds like you started to have symptoms when you went from 12.5 mg/d of Zoloft to none, so if you are sure that this is what you want to do, you might consider returning to 12.5 mg/d for two more weeks, and then cutting to 6.25 mg/d for two weeks, and then, if you can get creative or have your pharmacy get creative, cut again to 3.125 mg/d for two weeks before stopping. This ought to be gradual enough. But, please discuss this first with your regular physican. Another approach is to switch to about2.5-5 mg/d of Prozac along with the 12.5 mg/d of the Zoloft, and after three weeks, stop the Zoloft. Finally, after that you can cut from 5 to 2.5 to 1.25 mg/d of the Prozac, taking each dose for a week before cutting it in half, and then you can stop it. Prozac remains in the body, washing out very gradually on its own over about a month's time.

Good luck! -Eliot Seigle MD