Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: ZOLOFT WITHDRAWAL

Mason4477 - Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:53 pm

I was on 50 mg Zoloft daily paired with 0.25 mg Xanax 3 times daily since March. I had horrible headaches while on Zoloft, so I decided to go off of it. I cut it in half for a week and then cut it in half again for another week. I have not had any Zoloft in 2 days now. I have been SO dizzy. I almost feel like I am in slow motion. Every time I move my eyes I feel like I am in a dream, it is the strangest feeling. Is this normal??
 Dr. E. Seigle - Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:51 pm

Dear mason4477,

I'm assuming that you haven't cut back your xanax (which might cause a severe withdrawal reaction), you are probably having the common SSRI discontinuation syndrome. It sounds like you started to have symptoms when you went from 12.5 mg/d of Zoloft to none, so if you are sure that this is what you want to do, you might consider returning to 12.5 mg/d for two more weeks, and then cutting to 6.25 mg/d for two weeks, and then, if you can get creative or have your pharmacy get creative, cut again to 3.125 mg/d for two weeks before stopping. This ought to be gradual enough. But, please discuss this first with your regular physican. Another approach is to switch to about2.5-5 mg/d of Prozac along with the 12.5 mg/d of the Zoloft, and after three weeks, stop the Zoloft. Finally, after that you can cut from 5 to 2.5 to 1.25 mg/d of the Prozac, taking each dose for a week before cutting it in half, and then you can stop it. Prozac remains in the body, washing out very gradually on its own over about a month's time.

Good luck! -Eliot Seigle MD

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us