Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Question: Anxiety or what?

pokey - Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:48 pm

I suffer from ocd and anxiety and lately i have been scared that i am breathing food into my lungs with every meal (not choking) i am scared of developing aspiration pneumonia. i don't have anybody to talk to about this and have been suffering for weeks, cuz im not sure if it is psychological or physical, my question is are there any medical conditions that can cause you to breathe food in everytime you eat?? and also how does your body prevent you from breathing in food?? if i did develope aspiration pneumonia would i definitely know it before it's too late?? any advice would be much appreciated, because mentally i am almost having a break down with this new fear... Please help
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:06 am

User avatar Hi Pokey,
Aspiration pneumonia is frequently seen in the emergency room. Its primary cause is impaired airway protection, which occurs in patients with an altered level of consciousness and/or abnormal swallowing reflexes.

Since your level of consciousness appears to be intact and you do not have the symptoms of respiratory distress (dyspnea, chocking, bluish discolouration of the skin due to lack of oxygen, rapid pulse rate), I wouldn't suspect aspiration pneumonia. It seems that you are just too worried.

Why not check this with your psychiatrist, have him examine you to exclude anything physical and maybe prescribe something for your neurosis.