Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Will sexual side effects go away after stopping meds?

kbl - Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:24 pm

I am a 26 year old female and I have been on Cymbalta, 60 mg, for about 6 weeks. I think it is helping with my anxiety, but I am in law school right now so I don't if anything really will :) Anyways I have noticed that I cannot have orgasms since some time after starting this medication. That is ok for right now because I am more concerned with treating this GAD and really trying to work through it. I guess my question is will normal sexual function resume when I stop taking the medication in the future? I don't know, will it be bad not to "use" things? thank you in advance for your time and help.

Kristin
 Dr. E. Seigle - Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:22 pm

kbl,

Yes, the side effects of the Cymbalta on your sexual function will go away within 1-2 weeks after stopping the medication. Please remember not to stop the medication suddenly, but ask your doctor how to taper it safely! Good luck.

-E. Seige MD