Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Question: Anxiety and Sleep disorders - I grind my teeth!

billyjo2008 - Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:02 pm

I've always known that I grind my teeth at night and it gets worse as my anxiety level goes up. I am in the middle of a career change and buying a house and my anxiety I have no doubt is high. I have been told that I now grind my teeth alot at night and I have been told that I toss and turn all night long non stop. I wake up really tired and that just adds to the anxiety. Is this a typical thing? Is there a name for it? Are these symptoms of something other than anxiety and what can I do to fix it?
 Dr. E. Seigle - Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:03 pm

Hi billyjo2008,

The medical term for teeth-grinding is bruxism. Mainly, anxiety, tension, depression, are the causes for this, as for tossing and turning. The latter can also occur when you don't have enough deep sleep. The emotional issues can cause this, as well as a number of medications. Are you taking any medications? Or using caffeine or nicotine after 4 pm? These can cause anxiety and trouble sleeping, with the associated symptoms that you're having.

-E. Seigle MD
 billyjo2008 - Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:15 pm

No caffeine or tobacco in my diet. The stress is from a recent job change, move, etc. Is there a natural option to dealing with this issue?