Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: bulemia - Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:34 am

:cry: I believe my niece is bulemic. She is binge eating daily, purging daily(at least 3 times/day) How do I help her?????
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:52 pm

User avatar Dear Guest,

It is very difficult to deal with bulemic and anorexic patients without professional psychiatric help. It is a very good thing that you have noticed this and want to help your niece. Family support and understanding is very useful in these matters.

But first your niece has to admit that she has a problem and that she needs to seek professional help.

Thank you very much for using our website and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us