Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Question: Psychiatrist's Quick Eyes - is this a medical test?

lucas8998 - Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:14 pm

Please could anyone tell me why a psychiatrist would suddenly start making quick eye movements, repeatedly in the same direction, whilst their patient is talking?

This is some kind of 'test' I assume. But what kind(s) of patient(s) would they do this with? Or to assertain what kind of information would they do it?

If you can tell me the name of the 'test,' if it has one, and any other information then that would be really great.

Thanks.
 Dr. E. Seigle - Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:11 pm

Hi lucas 8998,

Your psychiatrist's eye movements is almost certainly not a test; it may well be an involuntary movement, which we call a tic. However, to be sure, you may want to be open about it, tell him that you were wondering what it meant, and see what he says. I've never heard of a test such as this!

Good luck! -Eliot Seigle MD