Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Question: Should I consider voluntary 5150 commitment

allegoric - Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:16 am

Within the past 28 days I have lost my job, started drinking, my anxiety is back to the point I avoid going out in public and I am getting physically sick/shaky/nausea/not eating/drinking 750ml brandy per day and just ready to give up, I am on 3 detox "lists" am told it might be 3 weeks until i get in somewhere.
 Dr. E. Seigle - Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:16 pm

Hi allegoric,

I am not familiar with a 5150 committment; what does it mean? It sounds like you could use detox sooner than 3 weeks;you might ask your primary care doctor if he is comfortable doing an out-patient detox with you, or ask him if he will do a medical detox on the med/surg floor of a hospital. If you have a history of DTs or seizures, you will need in-patient detox.

Good luck! -Eliot Seigle MD
 Cristasphoto - Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:49 am

LOL 5150 is the California term/Hold law
that if one is a danger to themselves,
others or is "gravely ill"
Then they can be held AGAINST their will in a psych emrgency facility for up to 72 hours...
Though often a nurse and doctor will evaluate THAT night and then release the following morning.