Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Should I consider voluntary 5150 commitment

allegoric - Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:16 am

Within the past 28 days I have lost my job, started drinking, my anxiety is back to the point I avoid going out in public and I am getting physically sick/shaky/nausea/not eating/drinking 750ml brandy per day and just ready to give up, I am on 3 detox "lists" am told it might be 3 weeks until i get in somewhere.
 Dr. E. Seigle - Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:16 pm

Hi allegoric,

I am not familiar with a 5150 committment; what does it mean? It sounds like you could use detox sooner than 3 weeks;you might ask your primary care doctor if he is comfortable doing an out-patient detox with you, or ask him if he will do a medical detox on the med/surg floor of a hospital. If you have a history of DTs or seizures, you will need in-patient detox.

Good luck! -Eliot Seigle MD
 Cristasphoto - Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:49 am

LOL 5150 is the California term/Hold law
that if one is a danger to themselves,
others or is "gravely ill"
Then they can be held AGAINST their will in a psych emrgency facility for up to 72 hours...
Though often a nurse and doctor will evaluate THAT night and then release the following morning.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us