Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Question: Irrational Fear of other peoples spit on me

mowgli618 - Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:04 pm

I have this irrational fear of other peoples spit on me. Once my husband licked me from the bottom of my spine to the upper middle of my spine. I almost started crying and having an anxiety attack. Does that mean it is a phobia or something?
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:46 pm

Hello Mowgli618,

In general, it's natural to not want other people's spit on you. Since you didn't mention any examples other than your husband, it's difficult to tell if your fear is irrational or just idiosyncratic. Based on the example you gave, I would have to say yes, you have some degree of phobia. If it does not prevent you from your normal daily activities, it is mild to moderate. If it does prevent you from normal activities, then you should consult your doctor and/or a mental health professional. There are certain medications that can help, if needed. It would be important to tell your doctor when you first noticed the fear, and what you were doing at the time. I hope your husband has accommodated your dislike of licking.

Good luck to you.

Faye RN MSW