Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: My Girlfriend lost her ex to a drug overdose

 johnnieblaze - Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:44 pm

My girlfriend lost her ex almost a year ago to a drug overdose. She hasn't seen a doctor or psychiatrist. She still has nightmares from time to time, the last a few days ago. She also still has pictures of them together up all over her room and his jewelry on. Im sure this is making it harder to for her to learn to deal with it. What is the general rate of time for someone to begin to come to terms with something like this? We have been dating for about 8 months now and imagine it time for her to start letting go of some of these things. Not get rid of them, but put them aside and begin new with me. Is there anything I can do to help her deal with it myself? Any info would help
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:13 pm


Your girlfriend is still grieving the loss of her ex. There are no specific time lines for grief. Some people are able to move on rather quickly, and others take more time. It is positive that she has formed a new relationship with you, although she maintains a connection to the past through pictures and jewelry, etc. There are a number of things that your girlfriend could do. In many areas, there are support groups for Survivors of Suicide, which you could attend with her if she would like. She needs to see a physician or go to a Mental Health clinic to be assessed for medication treatment and talk therapy. Your role is limited to encouraging her to get appropriate help. You can gently share with her your concerns and how you feel about the memorabilia she maintains, but it sounds like she needs professional support at this time.
Good luck to you both.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us