Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Zoloft and chronic diarrhea?

squeakymouse - Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:43 pm

I've been on Zoloft for 2 months now. 100 mg and afterwards upped to 200 mg. Of course I had diarrhea at first but it leveled off. Maybe after that it could be described as "looseness." Nothing major. Normal frequency, etc. Not a problem at all. At some point the dosage was upped but I was still doing decently.

A little over a week ago I started having horrible diarrhea. Basically liquidy mush 8 times a day sometimes...even an "accident" or two. My diet has not changed.

Otherwise I felt fine. My appetite is fine. No nausea. No vomiting. No fever. No abdominal pain. (Other than a little gas/bloating but it was "that time of the month" so I figured that was why.) I'm a little tired but that's to be expected, particularly since I quit drinking coffee just in case that was making it worse.

I tried Pepto B. a couple of times. No change. I tried Immodium. It slowed the frequency down but I still had the liquidy diarrhea. I began to only eat toast, rice, crackers and such. No change.

I called my shrink and he said I could try stopping the medication which I did. After 3 days I was still having the same liquid diarrhea. I haven't been taking any other medication except some Tylenol now and then. It's also possible that I've picked up a viral something or a parasite. Ewww. But I tried stopping the Zoloft first since it does at least cause some looseness.

My question is this...IF the diarrhea were caused by the Zoloft, wouldn't it have stopped when I stopped taking the drug? I would think after 3 days I would have seen a reduction at least. I know Zoloft has a very short half life.

If the Zoloft didn't cause this problem I'd rather keep taking it. It was really helping me, plus I can afford it. I'm just wondering if this type of thing would likely be caused by Zoloft or if it is more likely due to another factor.

Yes, I plan to see a family doc this week if the symptoms do not improve.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:06 am

User avatar Hello,
I think you gave it a good trial and can pretty much rule out Zoloft as the culprit here. You could go back on it since stopping has not made a difference. I doubt very much it is related - probably just coincidental with the timing.

Best wishes.
 squeakymouse - Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:34 am

Thank you for your time!
I believe you are correct. Things seem to be normalizing finally and I am taking the Zoloft at a lower dosage. I'll try bumping it back up after I'm sure everything is back to normal. No sense wasting expensive medication if it's going to go right through me. :o)

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us