Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Starting to worry myself because of unusual behaviour

 Crapulence - Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:57 am

Hi there, I'm wondering if I should make an appointment with my GP because I'm starting to worry myself now.

Basically, the last few months my sleeping has been more atrocious than normal. I have real problems getting to sleep unless there's something like a film that I know well going on in the background. I find every excuse I can think of not to leave my house unless I really have to, and I don't really enjoy doing things until I'm doing them (if that makes sense, like shopping). Don't particularly enjoy socialising with people either. I just seem to be annoying myself thinking negatively like this too. I exercise over 30 minutes every other day and walk everywhere as I don't have a car. If I go to my GP are they likely to tell me I'm just being stupid, because when I explain things I have a tendency to laugh nervously and make out that I'm just being silly. What do you suggest I do? Thanks so much.
 Dr. E. Seigle - Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:25 pm

Hi crapulence,

It sounds like a good idea for you to see your GP or to see a psychiatrist to discuss how you are feeling. You may be experiencing a depression or another condition. Try not to worry about laughig nervously, everyone does that often, and you can let your doctor know that you do that when you are nervous. You are brave to bring this up, and the way you feel is certainly in no way silly or to be dismissed. Your GP may be able to give you are referral to a psychiatrist, and that is often the best way to establish the diagnosis and recommended treatment plan for yourself. Good luck, and try not to delay, you deserve to feel better.

-Eliot Seigle MD

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us