Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Talking to Oneself

Chesire-Cat - Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:32 pm

Talking to oneself or thinking aloud is often a sign of madness to people. To my understanding it isn't quit a psychotic symptom like having thoughts stolen, thoughts broadcast or having no mind like a buddha. Once one has completed therapy and medication should one continue to think aloud as one has been such a thinker, or is it a sign of ongoing problems?
People often read aloud or solve problems aloud or even consider to themself their experience of something like a glass of water. Avoiding talking to oneself sounds like something for a very worried person. I, having been medicated myself often wonder if i am causing myself needless concern thinking aloud. Even as i type this im reading it aloud, deleting errors and retyping these concerns. Certainly my behavior may have bothered people before, but is there a reason to change these ways?
 Tim W Latsko - Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:03 pm

Consider........a problem is only a problem if it perceived to be a problem.....now in consideration of the aforemention, if your thinking aloud is causing you occupational, social, or relational difficulty then it is a problem and so treat your thinking aloud as one. I hope this helps and may I recommend that you consider a psyhciatric consultation by a local provider to ensure all you medical concerns are addressed. keep us posted

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us