Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Switching from Paxil to Zoloft

Granny - Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:38 am

I 've been taking Paxil since 1994. It has worked well ,but, the weight gain is
horrible. I am switching to Zoloft, hoping that will work. I have weened myself off Paxil, and I have been Paxil free for seven days now , with minimal side effects. Inablity to sleep must be a side effect, since I am awake @ this hour posting this question. How long do I wait before I start the Zoloft?

Thanks!
 Dr. E. Seigle - Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:57 am

Hi Granny,

I assume that a doctor is directing how and when you should switch to the Zoloft. I cannot make a recommendation to you personally, but in most cases similar to yours, the Zoloft would have been started as you were tapering the Paxil, or if not started yet, it would be started now. This avoids you being wihtout any antidepressant in your system, which may currently be the case. In any event, if your doctor agrees, you might start the Zoloft now.

-E. Seigle MD