Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: help me recover from anorexia

dancepassion - Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:34 pm

Hi I am a 17 years old girl who weigh about 97.5 pounds and is 5 feet tall. I am barely in the healthy range who used to weigh 115 pounds last year. Many people are telling me how i lost significant weight. I used to binge last year but stopped and now I turned to this. I am excessively exercising (at first it was just normal activities that I was involved in dancing and swimming) but now I would walk in my neighborhood I would refuse to take a bus and would walk about 3 miles. I would check the food labels and would read those magazine articles about food. I am obsessed on being healthy to the point that I would not eat because it is not healthy. I am scared now because I barely sleep, thinking about what to eat the next day. I am stressed out and this add more stress to me when I try to sleep. My last period was in November. I am not sure what to do. I do not want to tell anyone about this so is there a way for me to recover my period? I see that there are health plans. What are some advice?
 Tim W Latsko - Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:42 pm

Thank you for the opportunity to reply, first let me suggest that you consider confiding in a therapist, medical doctor, or psychologist. You can do this by visiting a community mental health center, school psychologist or counselor who will likely be held to standards regarding privileged information. I believe with the appropriate help you will gain the skills to manage your concerns. Go ahead and take the risk of confiding in a professional; good luck Tim

The reason my response was crafted in that manner b/c given your concern professional guidance is the best treatment mehtod.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us