Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: I can't study my subjects! pls help?

 ihatelife - Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:47 am

Dear Dr,

I am 18 Year old boy, live in Sri Lanka. I am studying A-Level Biology with Chemistry and Physics. I hate these subjects. My parents forced me to do this. I like to study software engineering. But they want me to do this first. Here in Sri Lanka A-Levels are very very Hard. I really can't understand this subjects and I hate to go to school. Whenever I go to school teachers and students are shouting on me because i am not clever! I begged my parents to get me out of this many time,but they are not listening to me. I don't have any friends and I love to be alone. I really can't take this anymore. My final exams are on August! but I am not even ready for the first term exams! I have decided to kill myself. I hate everybody. I hate this life. Can you help me?

P.S: Sorry for my English! I think this is my first and last post on this forum.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:32 pm

User avatar Hello,
Please do not take your life. There is hope, no matter how dreary it looks now. You need to talk to someone - a trusted advisor, doctor, counselor, teacher who might help you find another way around the problems that you are facing. These are real concerns you have but there must be a way for you to get into a program that better suites you. Is there an academic advisor who could help to identify your strengths and weaknesses (we all have them)? If someone else were to advise you and be willing to share findings with your parents, they might see another possibility for your future. They also may not realize how serious this problem has become for you. Pressure to perform academically has had tragic outcomes and this must be avoided at all costs.

Can you see a mental health therapist? At least get an appointment with a doctor. There may be ways to help from a medical point of view also (medications for depression, concentration in case you have attention deficit disorder - ADD, or thyroid problems to name a few).

Trust me, life will go on and will get better if you can just stay the course through your present challenges and try to get help on the things that are overwhelming to you now.

I do not know much about your country or culture but there must be a way to get mental health care. Please seek it and let us know what steps you are taking - even small ones. Do not be afraid to post here. Your English skills are remarkable and no apology is needed.

Please take care of yourself and know the future will hold better things than you can see now.

Best regards.
 ihatelife - Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:45 pm

Dear Debbie Miller,

Thank you for your reply. But I have no hope in anybody. Today I got an appointment to a Physician. Because i have very bad frequent headache. Can I ask about this to that Physician?

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us