Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: What is the term for this sub branch of social phobia?

 mickapoo - Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:34 pm

I'm not certain if I worded the subject the right way.

I had read about a condition, which I thought was sometimes found with those who have social phobia, but I cannot recall the name. The condition involves anxiety after the feared situation has passed. One overanalyzes and obsessantly worries about the situation and how other people had reacted, what they said, how they looked, and puts a negative spin on everything, believing that every reaction from others revolves around themselves.

I hope I'm describing this right. I have read about it but cannot remember the term. If anyone can offer assistance as to what this disorder is, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.
 Tim W Latsko - Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:02 pm

What term I believe you may be describing is 'Ideas of reference'; however I also wonder if you may be thinking about generalized anxiety disorder. Hope this helps.......


| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us