Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Wellburten (generic) and no more periods?

orcadragon17 - Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:20 am

When I was told to dramatically increased my Wellburten I did, and soon after my periods became further and further apart. Now they have stopped completely for many months. I have told my Dr. and he doesn't believe it is the Wellburten. He even ordered a pregnancy test after I told him it was not possible. He thinks that this is a part of my sleeping problems, but my sleeping problems started over two years ago, and, until I increased my Wellburten, I don't think missed a period during this time. Before my sleeping problems another medication (risperdal) increased my prolactin levels so much I had breast milk and I think I only had my periods more spread apart (no missing).

What has me worried is that the side effects that come with Wellburten (generic) call for you to contact a Dr. immediately if you have menstrual changes.
 Dr. E. Seigle - Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:50 pm

Hi orcadragon17,

I am not aware of Wellbutrin causing menstrual changes, but will be glad to search the medical literature to see if there is any research about this. Please write another posting in a few days for me to respond to.

-Dr. Seigle