Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Should I feel guilty do i need help

ajaybird - Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:32 am

I witnessed a drunk driver a few days ago swerving on both lanes of a highway and he pulled into driveway.I told him not to drive and i called highway patrol.I really didnt call them i just didnt want him on the highway.He left anyway so i then called 911.The dispatcher told me to keep following him so they would be able to intercept. He started driving real fast i think to get away from us.I was still on the phone with dispatcher for about 15 minutes when we lost him he was going too fast.Highway patrol arrived and i told him we lost him.I then left the area and got a call they got him and i needed to come back and make a statement.When i went back there was a bunch of emergency personnel there and i had to walk down hill to meet highway patrol.Well the careless driver that we had followed and that i had just talked to was down an embankment and partially ejected from his vehicle dead and I seen him.I am screwed up now.I keep telling myself he could have killed someone else,but then if we didnt follow him he would still be alive I think.I almost feel like a murderer.the dispatcher told me to keep a visual on him the whole time.I wish she would have told me not to follow as we gave her a description and license number.Now I cant sleep or eat right and feel really sick.What should i do?
 Tim W Latsko - Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:27 pm

ajaybird; No you are not responsible for that person's death and there is no need nor is it necessary for you to feel guilty.

I want you to understand that at the time the driver took his first drink, he made the decesion to place himself at risk; he then exponentially increased that risk with subsequent drinks and then he chose to drink and drive. You are not responsible for his choices.

It maybe beneficial to meet with a therapist or psychologist who specializes in trauma. I hope this answers your questions.

Keep us posted....and take good care..../Tim
 ajaybird - Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:37 pm

Thank you so much for responding to my question. I am feeling a bit better now.I have been telling myself I was only trying to prevent injury or death to him or others.It was just an unfortunate outcome but, he could have hurt or killed others,also.Thanks again

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us