Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Question: Should I feel guilty do i need help

ajaybird - Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:32 am

I witnessed a drunk driver a few days ago swerving on both lanes of a highway and he pulled into driveway.I told him not to drive and i called highway patrol.I really didnt call them i just didnt want him on the highway.He left anyway so i then called 911.The dispatcher told me to keep following him so they would be able to intercept. He started driving real fast i think to get away from us.I was still on the phone with dispatcher for about 15 minutes when we lost him he was going too fast.Highway patrol arrived and i told him we lost him.I then left the area and got a call they got him and i needed to come back and make a statement.When i went back there was a bunch of emergency personnel there and i had to walk down hill to meet highway patrol.Well the careless driver that we had followed and that i had just talked to was down an embankment and partially ejected from his vehicle dead and I seen him.I am screwed up now.I keep telling myself he could have killed someone else,but then if we didnt follow him he would still be alive I think.I almost feel like a murderer.the dispatcher told me to keep a visual on him the whole time.I wish she would have told me not to follow as we gave her a description and license number.Now I cant sleep or eat right and feel really sick.What should i do?
 Tim W Latsko - Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:27 pm

ajaybird; No you are not responsible for that person's death and there is no need nor is it necessary for you to feel guilty.

I want you to understand that at the time the driver took his first drink, he made the decesion to place himself at risk; he then exponentially increased that risk with subsequent drinks and then he chose to drink and drive. You are not responsible for his choices.

It maybe beneficial to meet with a therapist or psychologist who specializes in trauma. I hope this answers your questions.

Keep us posted....and take good care..../Tim
 ajaybird - Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:37 pm

Thank you so much for responding to my question. I am feeling a bit better now.I have been telling myself I was only trying to prevent injury or death to him or others.It was just an unfortunate outcome but, he could have hurt or killed others,also.Thanks again