Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Question: sudden goosebumps, shaking, gasping for breath in the night.

Riica88 - Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:39 am

This night the most scariest thing happend to me.
It was around 4 o'clock. Then Suddenly I thought i heard something. I woke up a little, and before I know it I got REALLY cold! Goosebumps everywhere!
I started shaking uncontrolably bad, Like I had a seizure.
Then I started gasping for breath! And my heartbeat went really fast.
This all happend in like 5 seconds, and then it was gone.
It felt like my body was taken over or something.

I hope this doesnt happen again and that you can tell me what happend.

Greetings Erica.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:02 pm

Hello Riica88,

The symptoms that you describe sound like a panic attack. It likely was in response to dreaming. In our dreams we sometimes think we are unable to move, or try to run and can't, etc. When you awoke, the feelings of fear continued and you experienced the panic attack. If it recurs, please keep a list of when it happens and describe the symptoms. Then see your doctor, and show him/her your list; there are medications and behavioral treatments that will help you.

Good luck to you.

Faye, RN, MSW