Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Question: How do I stop Celexa ?

ginoyann - Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:21 pm

Hello.
My name is Gino. I Have been taking 20 mg of Celexa for the last 8 months because
of a depression. I must say that celexa cured my depression completely. I
wanted to stop taking 3 weeks ago, so I tried to gradually stop it. I started going down to 10 mg for 9 days, then to 5 mg for 5 days. It has now been 4 days that I don't
take them anymore, and yesterday I started to feel very dizzy and I had a big
headache. When I woke up this morning, and even later during the day I felt the same. Thinking that it was probably because I didn't stop them
properly, I decided to take 10 mg of celexa today. I wanted to ask my doctor, but he's
on vacation. Can someone help me with this question ? What is the best way to stop taking celexa when the person was taking 20 mg for 8 months ?

Gino
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:41 am

Ideally, coming off an antidepressant is best accomplished gradually - weaning by taking half dosage for a couple of weeks before eliminating it completely so slow and easy is the trick here.

I hope your decision is in conjunction with your doctor because we don't want you to have a rebound depression. You are on the prescription for a reason and that has not necessarily gone away, even though you may be feeling well - it could be because of the medication and going without it can result in a return of symptoms with suicide risk so this should not be done lightly.

Be sure to be in touch with your doctor on his/her return.

ginoyann - Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:43 pm

Thank you Debbie.
I will also ask my doctor if he thinks I can stop them.

best wishes