Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: How do I stop Celexa ?

ginoyann - Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:21 pm

Hello.
My name is Gino. I Have been taking 20 mg of Celexa for the last 8 months because
of a depression. I must say that celexa cured my depression completely. I
wanted to stop taking 3 weeks ago, so I tried to gradually stop it. I started going down to 10 mg for 9 days, then to 5 mg for 5 days. It has now been 4 days that I don't
take them anymore, and yesterday I started to feel very dizzy and I had a big
headache. When I woke up this morning, and even later during the day I felt the same. Thinking that it was probably because I didn't stop them
properly, I decided to take 10 mg of celexa today. I wanted to ask my doctor, but he's
on vacation. Can someone help me with this question ? What is the best way to stop taking celexa when the person was taking 20 mg for 8 months ?

Gino
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:41 am

User avatar Hello,
Ideally, coming off an antidepressant is best accomplished gradually - weaning by taking half dosage for a couple of weeks before eliminating it completely so slow and easy is the trick here.

I hope your decision is in conjunction with your doctor because we don't want you to have a rebound depression. You are on the prescription for a reason and that has not necessarily gone away, even though you may be feeling well - it could be because of the medication and going without it can result in a return of symptoms with suicide risk so this should not be done lightly.

Be sure to be in touch with your doctor on his/her return.

Best wishes.
 ginoyann - Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:43 pm

Thank you Debbie.
I will also ask my doctor if he thinks I can stop them.

best wishes

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us