Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Question: Only happy when using painkillers?

lifecurious - Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:49 am

I very rarely use tylenol, or any medication at all.
Earlier today I took Excedrin extra strength for a painful headache, after the medicine kicked in and the pain was gone, I started feeling extremely happy, even giddy. I felt like life was looking up, I was all of a sudden interested in leaving the house and socializing (something I haven't done often in quite some time)
The only other time I can remember feeling happy like this, was half a year ago when I was using light painkillers from a dentist.

Is it normal to only feel happy like that when you're using a form of painkiller?
I can honestly only remember these two occasions when I felt truly happy and content.

I did have a blood test done and it came back with an extremely high count for chronic fatigue and epstein bar virus, I don't know if that factors in or not.

Thanks for your time in reading and trying to understand, it means a lot
~Joey
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:22 am

If you are having chronic pain, even if it has not actually been in your conscious awareness, then getting relief through non-narcotic pain relievers would very likely make you feel good - even happy. It can do no damage unless you overdose or have liver or kidney disease, so taking it regularly is fine, especially if you see it improves your quality of life. Congratulations on finding a good solution to an ongoing problem.