Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Antidepressant withdrawal symptoms

Mrdepressed - Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:01 pm

I take 150 mg of effexor xr a day and one time I decided to stop taking it. I really felt like I was too dependent on the drug. Yet, two days later I felt very dizzy, light headed, and moody. Fine, I can deal with that. But when I went to bed nightmares appeared so incredible and vivid that I woke up screaming. Each time I closed my eyes, they would come back. They were more like seizures than nightmares, for I was unable to come out of the state of shock after closing my eyes. My body and mind would cunvulse and I could get no sleep at all. It was very messed up and probably the most frightning experence in my life. I have read posts about people coming off effexor but have found no related symtoms as I had (Luck them!). As I came of effexor and went to bed...what happened to me?
Thank you.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:16 am

User avatar Hi Mrdepressed,
Withdrawal symptoms of antidepressants including effexor may include:
anxiety, dizziness, fatigue, headache, insomnia, nausea, restlessness, tremors,
visual hallucinations/illusions. Abrupt stopage of antidepressants should not be done.
They should be slowly tapered.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 Mrdepressed - Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:30 pm

Thank you for your reply. Even as I tried tapering off effexor slowly I got the same symtoms. I wish I could go back in time to before I got put on all these meds, for now it is physically and mentally impossible to withdraw. I don't recomend antidepressants for anybody...who is proven depressed.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us