Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Antidepressant withdrawal symptoms

Mrdepressed - Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:01 pm

I take 150 mg of effexor xr a day and one time I decided to stop taking it. I really felt like I was too dependent on the drug. Yet, two days later I felt very dizzy, light headed, and moody. Fine, I can deal with that. But when I went to bed nightmares appeared so incredible and vivid that I woke up screaming. Each time I closed my eyes, they would come back. They were more like seizures than nightmares, for I was unable to come out of the state of shock after closing my eyes. My body and mind would cunvulse and I could get no sleep at all. It was very messed up and probably the most frightning experence in my life. I have read posts about people coming off effexor but have found no related symtoms as I had (Luck them!). As I came of effexor and went to bed...what happened to me?
Thank you.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:16 am

User avatar Hi Mrdepressed,
Withdrawal symptoms of antidepressants including effexor may include:
anxiety, dizziness, fatigue, headache, insomnia, nausea, restlessness, tremors,
visual hallucinations/illusions. Abrupt stopage of antidepressants should not be done.
They should be slowly tapered.
 Mrdepressed - Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:30 pm

Thank you for your reply. Even as I tried tapering off effexor slowly I got the same symtoms. I wish I could go back in time to before I got put on all these meds, for now it is physically and mentally impossible to withdraw. I don't recomend antidepressants for anybody...who is proven depressed.