Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Question: can you have schizophrenia and bulima

Adii-Delly - Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:11 pm

hi i have schizophrenia and have had it for 5 years now but iv started taking laxatives and diet pills and making myself sick after i eat anything. my friend and sister think its bulima but i don't know can you have schizophrenia and bulima? i am seeing my psychiatrist soon but don't want to tell her as i have been in and out of hospital for the last 2 years and think that if i tell her i will be put back in hospital. do have any advice for me i want to solve this problem myself and not get my mental health proffesionals involved.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:12 pm

Hello Adii-Delly,

It is possible to have both schizophrenia and bulimia. However, the bulimic symptoms are most likely caused by the schizophrenic thought disruption. If you are within safe weight parameters, it is very unlikely that you would have to be hospitalized. More likely, a medication adjustment and treatment would help very much to minimize the bulimic symptoms. The best advice we can give is for you to see your psychiatric treatment provider and let them know about these symptoms before it becomes so severe that inpatient care is necessary.

Good luck to you.

Faye, RN, MSW